It’s becoming a trend to switch from dairy to soy milk these days. Many people follow it and this is happening because there is no lactose in soy milk. People who are intolerant to lactose or vegans usually go for this option.
Also, it contains lots of proteins, B vitamins, iron, and calcium. It doesn’t contain much cholesterol as well and is low in saturated fats. However, despite all these facts, scientists have discovered that soy milk is dangerous for our health.
Here are the ingredients in soy milk:
– Soy milk (Filtered water, whole soybeans)
– Cane Sugar
– Sea Salt
– Natural Flavor
– Calcium Carbonate
– Vitamin A palmitate
– Vitamin D2
– Vitamin B12
These ingredients are all good and harmless, except for one. It’s Carrageenans, which are a family of linear sulfated polysaccharides. They are extracted from red edible seeweeds. The food industry uses them for their thickening, gelling and stabilizing properties.
The problem is that the body is unable to digest carageenan. Not only this, but it ha no nutritional value at all. It can cause inflammation and it weakens the immune system. Carageenan is connected to colon cancer and gastrointestinal inflammation. Many diseases and conditions can be caused by it, including spastic colon, IBS, inflammatory bowel disease and chronic diarrhea.
Although there is countless information about soy milk out there, many studies have proven that it can actually be harmful for our bodies.
Here are 10 reasons why you shouldn’t drink it:
1. It has natural toxins that can alter the hormone levels in women’s bodies, or estrogen. Just 2 glasses of it a day can cause the menstrual cycle to be disrupted.
2. Red blood cells will be clumped together because of the haemagglutinin in soybeans.
3. Soy is one of the most genetically modified products out there, since 99% of it is genetically modified. Its pesticide contamination levels are extremely high.
4. There is plenty of phytic acid in soy products, so your body will have a harder time absorbing magnesium, calcium, copper, zinc and iron, which are very important for our health.
5. Soy products are rich in aluminium, which affects our body negatively due to its toxicity. It can cause Alzheimer’s and it can cause problems in our kidneys and nervous system.
6. When companies are making soy protein and textured vegetable protein, they are putting soy under high temperature, thus making it harmful when we digest it.
7. It can cause breast cancer to grow faster, due to the presence of toxic isoflavones (genistein and daidzein).
8. There are also plant estrogens present in soy, called phytoestrogens. They are very harmful to women, since they can cause breast cancer and infertility.
9. Thyroid hormones production is blocked due to the high levels of goitrogens.
10. During the spray-drying process, nitrates are formed. They are dangerous because they have carcinogen properties.
Source: Simple Capacity