We are talking about a common foods that many of us are consuming it on a daily basis. When these worms enter the human body, they can easily more around through the whole body.
According to Dr. Effrossyni Gkrania- Klotsas, the consequences can be fatal.
In 2013 Dr. Effrossyni found a strange type of tapeworm in a head of a British man. That was never seen before in the UK.
A few months after, at the Addenbrookes Hospital at Cambridge a male patient check in the hospital complaining that he is experiencing severe headaches. After a few tests he came back complaining of new symptoms.
This time he mentioned the doctor that he visited Thailand, South Korea, Japan and China recently. The doctors, did a quick research and concluded that he was visiting places where cases of a parasite known as Spirometra erinaceieuropaei are very common.
After some more tests, he was diagnosed with parganosis infection that has been caused by tapeworm larvae plerocercoid diphyllobothroid.
The doctors had to surgically remove the worm because drugs are not effective.
In humans, taeniasis is an infection caused by the following tapeworms: Taenia saginata (beef tapeworm), Taenia asiatica (Asian tapeworm) and Taenia solium (pork tapeworm).
The reason why most people get infected with these tapeworms is because they consume the meat raw or undercooked.
There are 3 types of worms that can infect the brain. The most cases of parasitic infections are from the pork meat.
There are 2 ways to get infected by a pork tapeworm:
1. If you consume an infected pork meat undercooked or raw
2. By direct contact with feces of infected pig or human, which can infect many tissues. If the larvae get inthe nervous system and the brain, it can result in neurocysticercosis.
These infections are common in: Latin America, Africa and parts of Asia. However, there are some cases in Europe and North America due to increased global distribution of cheap meat.
Source: My Central Health